Google’s new Performance Max campaigns technology is expected to take over all Smart Shopping by September 2022. This has left media buyers frantically researching the new “super campaign” to understand how it can work for them.
We have put together this article to explain everything you need to know about Performance Max, including what they are, how they work, what to look out for, and how they can generate leads and sales for your business
What are Google Ads Performance Max Campaigns?
Performance Max campaigns allow you to display your ads across all of Google’s platforms in a single campaign rather than creating separate campaigns for each channel. Once you create and publish your campaign, your ad is shown across Google’s entire inventory, which includes:
- Discovery; and
The goal is to give you the most bang for your buck for as little work as possible.
How do Performance Max Campaigns Work?
Google’s machine learning automates many of the aspects that come with campaign management, like targeting. When you use any of their Smart campaigns–like Shopping, Search, or Performance Max–Google makes sure to put you in front of the audience that is most likely to help you achieve your goal, whether that be conversions, clicks or ROAS.
Google also does something similar with its bidding system. Their goal is to set your bid amount based on the likelihood that your ad will convert or get clicked. They do this by analyzing the user’s data down to their location, device, operating system and demographic. This takes a lot of the heavy lifting out of setting bids and targeting to help reach your performance goals.
The Pros and Cons of Performance Max
In the months following Google’s announcement for Performance Max campaigns, the Growth Gurus have been testing, creating, and managing Performance Max campaigns for a number of clients. While there are a few things that we would change, we also can’t ignore the extremely high ROAS and conversions that we see from these campaigns.
Pros of Performance Max
- Makes advertising easy for beginners: One of the selling points for using Performance Max is the simplicity of running the campaign. There’s very little maintenance required for these campaigns, meaning even complete beginners can successfully set up and run high-performing campaigns for their e-commerce brand.
- One campaign for all platforms: Not only is this fast and user-friendly, but it can also save you hundreds in ad spend if set up properly.
- Goal-oriented: With Performance Max being 100% goal-oriented, there’s a good chance Google will place your ad in front of your ideal target audience. We have also seen results and conversions accelerate with these new campaigns.
Cons of Performance Max
- Little control: One of the major complaints that we see with these campaigns is the lack of control that you have over the campaign. If you like to have complete control over every detail of your campaign, this may not be the type for you.
- Little insight: Because of the Black Box that is Performance Max reporting, if you have an asset group that is performing extremely well, you will not be able to see the exact reasons as to why. There is very little insight into what is doing well for your campaign so that you can use that for other campaigns.
- YouTube videos: If you do not provide a YouTube video for Performance Max to show, they will auto-create three videos for you from the text and images that you have supplied. This can be a nice feature, but you can also run the risk of not standing out from the crowd because it lacks the uniqueness of your video ad.
Like almost everything in life, Performance Max campaigns have their ups and downs. Can this campaign get you the traffic and conversions that you are looking for? Yes.
Will you be able to see and control those winning aspects? No.
But with the technology and innovation that Google shows us on a regular basis, we’re sure that this will change soon.
Our Gurus are the best in the game when it comes to creating ad campaigns that achieve your goals. Chat with our team today to see how we can grow your business through Google Ads.